Rósa Sigrún Jónsdóttir - 3 december 2018 - 2 march 2019

Grasses

Since my graduation from The Iceland Academy of the Arts in 2001 I have regularly created big and time consuming textile installations and sculptures.

For the last few years I have worked with groups of craftswomen where I give them some basic instructions but also I encourage them to use their own creativity. By collaborating with people I hope to draw wider attention to the importance and possibilities  of crafts as an innovative form of creative work.

In my mind using slow process technique like knitting and crochet is also about other things. I´m celebrating my mother’s tradition, but trying to take it further, expand it and bring out the endless possibilities of the thread. But I´m also sort of resisting capitalism and consumerism and spreading my beliefs in the meditative and healing powers of crafts.

Finally I would like to mention that it is often said about my art that it is so beautiful. That is not coincidence. For me, one of my purposes as an artist is to create beauty. Research show that beauty is important to us, viewing an artwork that one finds beautiful causes a person to experience joys that are similar to falling in love. And when we find beauty around us, in nature or art, it helps us understand that our world is not purely negative, and this enhances our well-being.





Phhotos by Markus Nilling


Populaire posts van deze blog

Videobiënnale "de schoonheid van de troost" 12 december 2022 t/m 10 maart 2023

Inge van der Ven - 'Interiors' 8 juli 2023 - 27 september 2023

Danielle Vidal-Ausseil " LANDSCHAPPEN VAN DE GEEST" - 14 maart - 14 juni 2023